02 April 2009

How to DIY Jighead

I have shared these in a couple of local fishing forum, forget about it totally until now. Time to put it up on my blog.

Ever since I started luring, I have been looking for cheaper alternative for stuff I can DIY. Started out with DIY spin fly, then Jighead with tinsel, and now Jighead using offset hooks for rubbers.

For my FW application, I usually go for light tackle, hence 1/8oz jighead suits me well since I am now more interested to use rubber then hard lures. Anyway decided to experiment to DIY my own jighead with some very simple stuff. Furthermore can customized weight and hook size to your own liking.

DIY Jighead 01
Stuff you will need, Solvent Based Paint (A), Reflective Paper (B), Hooks (C), split shot (D), 10 or 5 min Epoxy (E), Super Glue (F), Hole Puncher (G).
For rubber better to use off set hooks, pic of off set hooks and finished jighead. Link Here


DIY Jighead 02
Drop a little Super Glue between the groove of the split shot and insert the hook. Apply pressure till set.

DIY Jighead 03Photobucket
Use hammer to hit on either side till the split shot gap is enclosed completely onto the hook shaft. Or just a clamp to do this job. Make sure the flat surface created is large enough to paste an "eye" on it.

Photobucket
Next is simply a paint job, use primer if you have else like me just do 2 coat. If you intend to dip the entire jighead portion into the paint to color it, insert a toothpick in the eye of the hook before doing it, this will prevent the paint from covering up the entire eye.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Using the hole puncher, punch out some round reflective paper. Paste it onto the flatten surface using super glue and finish it with a coat of epoxy. Draw a black dot on the reflective paper to complete the eye. Alternatively, use those ready made 'eyes' available from tackle shop to do so.

Final pics are my tinsel added jighead for PB hunting, use it like a lure except you impart all the action yourself thru wrist and rod action.
DIY JigHead Fly

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...