22 October 2009

Rod Review - ANYFISH ANYWHERE BIG BEACH surf rod 14ft


After having a far bit of mid-range surf rods passing thru my hands cause almost each and every rod that I used to own have always something I hoped it can improved on.

This is one rod that I really enjoy using, but the length is quite a hassle, 7ft long during transportation.  But once you reached your fishing ground, assemble the rod to cast, all is forgotten.

The very first time I tried to cast with this 14footer, I got worried as this is I have never cast anything longer then a 12ft6 before. Can I handle the extra length?  After a few practice cast to get the timing tight for the extra length, I tried it with my half baked OTG. Oh yeah, the lead just shoot out into the horizon (as a matter of speech).  Right after that, I decided I love this rod, and I still do even I seldom do surf fishing these days.

From the pic, you can see that I am using a high mount position for the reel, which in actual fact is wrong because the rod is designed for a low mount reel, thus they gave you a 18inch reducer. But heck, I can't do low mount, so it is a high mount setup for me and it works for me.  While doing my research before purchasing the rod, I read on their website that it have a 'fishing tip', exactly what I am looking for! For a novice surf angler like me, I really needed the softer tip launch the lead out as I usually don't compress the mid section enough to get the power. Also softer tip equates to bite detection, which is also what I really wanted. Back to the pic, this is taken when I have an unknown biggie at the end of the line (I hate to admit it, but I lost the fish because of a lousy rig), see how soft the tip is? It is during this hook up that I notice the tip is moving before my reel line out alarm goes.

A couple of major problems of using a UK style surf rod for asian are resolved with this rod, weight and blank thickness. Make no mistake about it, this rod still cast like a typical UK surf rod, except that it is much lighter (still heavier then Jap rods) then those of old and the blank thickness on the bottom section surprises me. I had a much more comfortable and secured grip then the older Penns that I used to owned.

Yes, I do love this rod, and No, it is not the prefect rod for me.
However, this is the closest thing to a prefect rod for me. Thus for now, it is still my rod of choice for beach surf fishing.

+ Impressively easy to cast 14ft.
+ Soft Tip, bite detection and ease of casting for beginners.
+ Though is a UK style rod, it's weight and blank thickness should suit most Asians.
+ Good quality rod bag with pocket for the 18 inch reducer.
- Not available locally, purchase this rod via a mass order exercise.
- Would actually hope it comes with SIC ring guides, however it is using Alconite ring.

Disclaimer
Review is based on my personal experience and thoughts. This review bias towards surf fishing rather then distance casting.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...