07 September 2008

13 Pounder Giant Gourami


07 Sep 2008

Today me and my FW fishing 'Guide', Nenasi, decided to do Little GuiLin. He have much more experience then my in FW fishing, luring, and the place itself. And the 'fee' he charges? One packet of Kopi-Susu.

Basically my aim today is to try doing spin fly on noodle rod, so brought along a 8ft Eupro rod paired with a Pioneer reel. Also bring along some 'special bait'..... aka Roti. Target fish on bait? Tilapia.

Day start very slowly, I started by tying the rigs, etc, etc. and cast into the reasonably clear water. With a float, 8lb hook line, and 2 small hooks with bread. Left it at one corner while I do my spin-fly casting.

Later there's more and more anglers appear, I stupidly forgot that my rod is at one corner and continue to do spin-fly casting till much later, then I realised that my slack line is getting into other anglers. So quickly walk over, reel back, re-bait and cast at a quiet space. Friendly group of anglers we have, smiles and 'Hi' when we are together. no dirty looks or whatsoever.

Me rest for a while and continue to spin-fly. Then I saw an aro to my left, should be an aro as it's body is very shiny. Me happily walk over and cast out. Then saw a pink "Kah Lui", Giant Gourami, surfaced. sibei happy, wonder if they take fly. Cast out and slowly reel back. Wah lau, it is super conditioned, one look at the fly, turn it's head and swim away downwards.

later, one angler call out to us. fishes spotted, as he is baiting and we are doing luring, he pointed out to us where he spotted them. Look like a pair of Kui Lui. then next moment, you see artillery bombardment, 2 lures and one fly casted into the area. After 2 cast, we must have spooked them and they dive out of sight.

while making the short walk back to our area, Nenasi told me they usually take bread. And I told him, "Hey! My baits are bread leh" and we are joking about Gardinia Bread, Sunshine bread, wholemeal bread, white bread, softmeal bread..... then it happens, the pair of Kah Lui surface and start to swim slowly towards my float. Me just stand there and watch, chanting 'Take my bait, take my bait". While Nenasi, being more experience, walk towards my rod and watch. Suddenly he just reached for the rod and strike!!!! Fish On!!! Look like a double hookup!!! but one is lost within seconds, luckily still have the other one. He fought for a while and pass the rod to me, macham Fish Guide leh...... hahaha

Fight is SHIOK!!! Never expect freshwater fish to fight so hard.....

Fish is Boga at a little over 13lbs!!!! I cannot believe it... my first Kah Lui and such a huge one!!! As the fight is pretty long, I decided not to post with it for pic, but to quickly snap a few shots and return it back to the water to fight another day.

The 8lb line is badly frayed by it's teeth, after the fish is released, we inspect the line. A light snap and line broke already, we never knew that we are that close to losing the fish.

Tackle
Eupro Hammer 8ft
Pioneer PR4000 but with a SW3000 spool
20lbs Surecatch Braided with 30lbs Leader
Float Rig with 8lbs hook line

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...