23 January 2010

Daiwa SS700 - Servicing the Classic


The classic Daiwa SS700, a reel that is from another era but yet still in production today shows that this reel does stand against the test of time. It is a robust reel, compact reel with a strong drag system, and of course the distinctive sound of line out, it's music to any angler that very distintive 'ting-ting' that tells the world that the SS700 is in action.

In this fast moving, ever evolving world of technology, I wonder why would anyone wanted to get this reel. It's anti-reverse is so old school, nothing like the instant lock up of those anti-reverse bearing, it is much heavier that those newer reels, it's roller system is a joke and it is a pain in the ass to dismantle and service this reel. I wonder how many folks who have buy it, dun like it and sell it off ASAP, if not for it cult status, my guess is that no one is willing to pay around SGD150 for this reel.

I have it, I tried to make it better, but failed. So have to use it as it is except for a slight modification of the bushing to bearing for the worm shaft. And I do like it because it's uses the worm shaft design which I like. But to service it is another matter altogether, I seriously do think that this reel production is very labour intensive (maybe that's why it is shifted to Thailand?), you will see why in the servicing portion below.

Like most reels, you start off by removing the spool and handle first, then it ends there.  There is no way to remove one part without removing another, thus it is (in my view) very important to do it step by step as shown below. And to assemble, do the reverse in step by step. While you are at it, you might want to change the 2 bearings for the handle, I am not too sure if the newer ones have good bearings, but my old Made-In-Japan model have really lousy bearing (plastic retainers to hold the ball bearing, not smooth at all but robust). Also you might like to change the worm shaft bushing to bearing which I have done for this reel already (see pic 3).


Texts have been included in the pics to make the procedure clear and more precise.
Warning - by Jumping certain steps could cause serious hair tearing moments.


































0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...