09 March 2012

Tackle Shopping @ Beach Road, my intro to light jigging?

It have been a long long time since I do shopping for fishing stuff at Beach Road, when a non-fisho friend called to meet me there for lunch, well I agreed mainly because I can do some shopping.

Basically I have an idea what I needed, so shopping is pretty fast and easy for me. First stop is Lure Haven to pick up some Sasame swivel, as I have no idea which other tackle shop stocks them. I couldn't resist to pick up an Ima GUN 7g jig as well, heard so much good review about it but I dun really do jigging. My guess it is more of a case of just buy and keep the Ima GUN till someday to try it out.

While waiting for my friend, pop by one of the tackle shop and spoke to Alan Chan. I am looking for gold colored prawn hooks, as the thin wire gauge would be great to hook gargo bait, alas the shop have only black colored ones. Since have time, spend some time to find out more about light / micro jigging from Alan, as I don't do boat fishing, I am keen to try shoreline jigging only. Found out that is possible, but need concentration and risk losing jigs, well at least it is possible. It invoke interest in me to try out some day soon, since more or less I think I have the tackles needed, just need to buy some jigs to try out on one of those southern islands trips.



Soon found myself buying more stuff, one more interesting item is this Egg Snap from EuPro. Decoy have these Egg snap for ages already but are way more expensive, I just couldn't resist buying them. Only problem is that I have no idea what poundage they are rated at, it is not stated anywhere on the package.

Got what I needed except for the micro jigs, shops around the area are stocked with mostly 20G and above jigs, me no interest in them currently.

Pop by another shop to buy these 11G micro jigs, for some strange reasons, they are known as bullet jigs. Not too sure if it is a local term or a term used everywhere else around the world. Color choices are good, think there are 7 or more colors to choose from, in the end I choose the more common colors. As I expect to loss some to the rocks from our coastline, need to stock up a little more.

So there you have it, I have 3 different type of jigs to try next time, 3G Asari Mahi (I bought a while ago, intend to use for FW luring), 7G Ima GUN and Kaiser Pro shop 11G Micro/Bullet Jig. Just to try out this type of jigging, I should have the tackle required, all is required is to try it out at my next fishing trip.

Wait a minute! Err...... those jigs I bought to day have no hooks on them, am told just to attach an assist hook at the top and leave the bottom alone. Damn as woman always say men can't multi-task, think that is true. All I am thinking of today is to buy the terminal tackles I needed that I forgot to buy any jigging hooks and solid welded rings. Need to modify with what I have at home. In case there is any sudden trip for me to try out before I get the necessary stuff.

Using high carbon hooks and split right did the first one, look okay and is pretty tough. But on second though, I am not doing this on a boat, if the hook got snagged, think I will lost jig, hook, swivel, leader and all. Bad idea.

So redo another one with high carbon hook and 8lbs dupont, hopefully can savage the jig should the hook get snagged.

No idea if it works or not, but no harm trying it out. More interested if the jig and my amateurish jigging style will yield any fish strike rather then getting the fish for a start.


5 comments:

Alan chan said...

Bro i'll pass some jigs to you next week when we meet,go try them out i use them last time quite good best thing was they are cheap hahahaha.

Unknown said...

Thanks Bro, already have 2 planned trip to sister islands soon. Will try out micro jigging there.

Next time we meet, need to ask you more about jigging. I think it might be more tiring then I imagine.

Ah, also will need your adivce on madai jig as well, southern islands have lots of parrot... :)

Liam said...

Good to know someone is so into jigging! great write up mate!

kahyoong said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You have mentioned "since you dont do boat fishing".

Why not? Its really fun!

I only do offshore fishing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...