10 December 2011

Sister Island once again

Sister Island - 03 Dec 2011I almost didn't make it for this trip, needed some last minute juggling with my schedule to make it happen. Boy am I glad I did the switch. Trips to this island have been a contrast of luck for me, due to the different species that is being targeted, it is usually been good for others while I will have a lower yield then others. On this trip, it is the opposite, the yellow tails and kunnings are just not around for the entire day, thus I am able to fish at the particular 'hot spot' to target for the silver moony.

Will the usual bait of gargo and prawns available, I decided to take just some bread as bait. With the tips from a regular angler there, breads must be fluffy when targeting silver moony, I decided to cut them into cubes instead of the usual practice of pinching the bread on to the hooks.  Also modify my rigging method so that I could drift the baits into the strike zone.

I am not keen to do the usually method of berley to entice to come out of the hiding, thus instead I let the water current to do the job of pushing my baits to them. Also upon the regular angler's advice, I need to pull the fish out fast else I could easily spooked the rest of the fishes.  With all these valuable advices, I manage to land 10 pieces of silver moony at around noon time, but not without landing my now customary remora twice. Almost all are on bread with just a piece of 2 on prawns or gargo.



It is interesting to note the difference, on bread it is a sharp sudden pull whenever they took the bread and is hooked, else there is almost no feel on the rod at all. However on prawns, you can feel the nibble before the pull. No idea why the difference, but it could be that bread is much softer, that once they suck in the bread, it is either hooked or they had a free snack.

By early afternoon, I have already ran out of bread, have given out too much free snacks to them, so tried exclusively on prawns, either they have been well fed or have been spooked, it is much harder. By mid afternoon, rain came pouring down and I stop totally and the rain and drizzle lasted till it is almost time to leave.  Well mother nature gave us a great view when the rain stopped, nowadays it is tough to see rainbow given that we are surrounded by tall concrete building, however to make up for the lack of rainbow seen for us all, she decided to give us a double dosage, 2 rainbows appear in the mainland island.


Double Rainbow @ Sister Island Double Rainbow @ Sister Island

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...