31 March 2011

Shimano Fun Fishing Day 2010

Shimano Fun Fishing 2010This Blog entry is way way way long overdue, I thought I have put it up before but then my memory must be failing me because it is not.

This event is held at Bedok Jetty in I believe in July 2010, it have been postponed from the original date as you might recall we are hit by an oil slick during the period when it is supposed to be held originally. Of course we all know that fishing along BJT is FOC, thus questions are raised when there is a $20 (if I remember correctly), to register yourself for the event, unlike in paypond where the organizer need to book the entire pond for competitions. Frankly, I am not too sure why is there a need to collect money for what to me should be part of Shimano Fishing marketing campaign, maybe to deter folks who come for a free ride.



The night before the event, I got a call from DesT, he asked if I am going for this event as he is going (no pre-registration required, do it on the event itself), oh what the heck, let's do it together then. Next he asked "Buy Milk Fish?", Me "Okay, why not." DesT "Tamban?", Me "errr..... no need lah, if BJT no tamban, then there is in Tamban in SG liao."
As you might guess by now, I am not taking this event seriously, frankly, I dun even see the need for live bait as I will be going for todak. All I need is some small unwanted tamban from anyone who is jigging for tamban, or pick up from the floor, How hard can that be? Boy, how wrong am I.

Shimano Fun Fishing 2010On the day itself I expect to see a pretty huge turnout, as we are early, we did the usual chit chat with other participants and organizers. As it turn out, the turnout is not as large as they hoped for and they are prepared a 'Goodie  Bag', usual Lucky Draw, and a 'Sure Win' fishing game. No idea what game it is as it will only start once the competition is over. After I have registered myself and with the start time drawing close, I start to set up my tackle, when I am about to finish setting up, I need to decide what sized hook to used, and that would of course depend on the size of the Milk fish. So look for DesT, and asked "How big are the milk fish you got? Big or small? I wanted the smaller ones."  As it turns out, he didn't get any, instead he got live prawns only as that particular tackle shop he goes to doesn't sell milk fish. No matter, tamban will do just fine, we just need to beg, steal, rob or whatever needed to get it.

Next thing I know, competition starts, I have to start fast as before and after the peak tide, which occurs in between the competition period, I can't as there will be no current to drift my bait out. I needed some tamban FAST! As a matter of fact, I have already secure some BIG, Juicy, Fat tamban from one of the surf angler I knew who is there the night before, however, I want some small ones. So I walk up and down the jetty a couple of times to check out anglers jigging for tamban, my goodness, they are no where to be found.  So gave up, hooked up one big, juicy tamban and pop it into the current for it to drift out.

Two reasons why I need to start fast, one as mentioned, there will be period where there will be very slow current which I can't fish and because there is a prize for the first fish caught that's above 300g! So let's catch any todak, big or small as I am sure it will be above the weight limit. Once I have casted out my float and bait, I can relax and see what others is doing. Most are doing bottom baiting, with a handful during jigging or cable car. DesT insisted on doing his experimental sailing float rig and spend most of his time setting up his rig rather then fishing.

In less then 10 minutes, I got a todak on my bait, I pick up my rod and reminded myself that as the bait is big, give it more time before I set the hook. Fish is ON!, it makes a few jumps and I am reeling it back it, it is not big, but I am sure it will be above 300g for sure. The prize is MINE!!! Alas, heart rules over the brain everytime, I am so keen to land the fish in order to win that prize, I set the hook earlier then I wanted even though I have reminded myself, the result shows as that todak managed to freed itself after a few more jumps.  Damn! That's goes my chance for the first fish prize as a couple of minutes, someone got a queenie on cable car rig.

Well, in fact that marks the end of the most exciting period in this event for me, because after almost an hour, I can't do any meaningful fishing with the float system I deploy, either there is no current or current and wind is going at opposing directions, render my bait to stop moving at all. In fact I am so free that I could even do tambans jigging for friends who also take part, my stock of big tambans are gone so fast because they can't get any from jigging and used them.

Shimano Fun Fishing 2010Competition time ended, I have not got any fish so no prizes for me. However, I did win 2 Shimano budget reel, one from Lucky Draw and another from the Fishing game.

Oh yeah, before I forget, the Goodie bag consist of well, the usual Shimano Catalog, some decals, pens, a Shimano cotton T-Shirt (I am hoping for a Dry-Fit material) and ShimanoYumeya visor.  In fact not too bad, except of course I dun really need the T-Shirt and visor.

Although I didn't win any prize from the Fishing competition, I did enjoy myself with the company of fishing friends and the banter we exchanged. That to me is more important then winning or catching any fishes.

I do hope that they will do this again soon, not so much for the prizes and winning them, but to serve as a gathering for the fishing community and for fishing friends to have a bloody good excuse to meet up and talk about fishing tales and experiences.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GLoomis NR1382
Modified Alivio 2500
4, 5, 6 lbs braided line, joined, with 8lbs leader.
Running float rig.

1 comments:

Clover Pass Resort said...

Fishing is fun and fishing is great, however, there are a lot of things you need to know before going out fishing.

Click Here

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...